1. Topsy the Elephant’s execution, filmed by Thomas Edison
2. El Sur
Desde uno de tus patios haber mirado
las antiguas estrellas,
desde el banco de
la sombra haber mirado
esas luces dispersas
que mi ignorancia no ha aprendido a nombrar
ni a ordenar en contelaciones,
haber sentido el circulo del agua
en el secreto aljibe,
el olor del jazmin y la madreselva,
el silencio del pájaro dormido,
el arco del zanguán, la hemedad
–esas cosas, acaso, son el poema.
Jorge Luis Borges
Unlike photographs set in silver, like in black and white photography, cyanotypes use a solution of iron compounds. The photograph can be taken with a camera, like a digital camera, and the resulting photo turned into a negative that can be used to make a cyanotype.
The basic cyanotype recipe has not changed very much since Sir John Herschel introduced it in 1842.
- Mix chemicals
- Potassium ferricyanide and Ferric ammonium citrate (green) are mixed with water separately.
- The two solutions are then blended together in equal parts.
- Prepare canvas
- Paper, card, textiles or any other naturally absorbent material is coated with the solution and dried in the dark
- Objects or negatives are placed on the material to make a print. The cyanotype is printed using UV light, such as the sun, a light box or a UV lamp.
- Process & dry
- After exposure the material is processed by simply rinsing it in water. A white print emerges on a blue background.
- The final print is dried and admired
4. Jenny Holzer ‘Lustmord’, Süddeutsche Zeitung Magazin (Munich)